Saturday, April 16, 2022

What type of paper do you use with watercolor paints?

 I purchased some student quality watercolor paper from a local shop going out of business.

I thought it would work well for practice and for demos.

I haven't painted watercolor portraits in a while, so got my student grade papers out and began to paint.

I kept losing color and my color washes quickly disappeared almost as soon as I put them down. The struggle was real, the paper defiantly won!  


Most watercolor papers are made from either cotton or wood pulp.  100% cotton is the best!

Student grade is typically not acid free nor archival.  Making a big difference in your paintings.  So often students will tell me they are having trouble with the colors fading and making a hot mess while working wet on wet. 

The above painting is a good example of less vibrancy and adding multiple layers.  As I added a layer of color, the under painting began to fade or disappear.  When this happens, we have a tendency to overwork a piece.  

With cotton fiber papers, one has less harsh lines and can take on multiple layers of color.  Creating a more vibrant painting.



I had a little more control over this painting and but I did have some of the same issues, plus pilling.

Both of these paintings were inspired by Royalty free images, so there is no copyright infringement.

If you are struggling with any of the above issues while painting watercolors, change out the paper and you will see a world of difference!

Happy Painting.

Ursula xo

P.S.  Check out my upcoming acrylic painting class @ Splatter Art Studio, Springfield, MO.

https://www.splatterartstudio.com/upcoming-events/2022/4/22/fun-with-acrylics







No comments:

Post a Comment