Monday, November 10, 2014

Nature never did betray the heart that loved her.


Cool crisp leaves under foot, a rainy day walk in the woods, discovering berries, leaves and branches.  A wonderful way to clear the head and heart.  I am lucky enough to live in a wooded area where we see so many of God's creatures.  Deer walking by the window, wood chucks, wood peckers, wild turkeys, eagles, falcons and more.  Some of which I could do without, like skunks, snakes and  possums, oh my!

It has been a stressful month of hospital trips with my husband.  I am so thankful that he is well again, but the woods and my studio have helped me keep focused and thankful for what I have.  Taking an online class of Woodland girls with Jeanne Oliver, made me more aware of my surroundings.  The class came at a very good time for me. She encouraged us to go out, collect, draw, paint and sculpt from natures' bounties.  This gave me the prompt to go out instead of sitting around and worrying.  Giving a little of myself to nature and receiving so much more in return.

I have had an old reader that I turned into a art journal.  As I have said in the past, I love painting on the old pages.  The day I wanted to go out and gather, it was raining.  Not pouring, but a gentle rain.  I loved how the rain drops sounded hitting my umbrella and the crunching of the leaves underneath. 

 The pages on the left are my gatherings, the right are my watercolor drawings of what I found.  This was such a fun idea and I wanted to share it with you.
I love picking up feathers found on the ground.  I have an entire jar full of them as part of my decor.  This is one I found last spring.  
Next, I painted on a wood slice, old book cover and in my watercolor art journal.  Love painting these nature beauties.
Where do you go when you are stressed and life gives you a little more than you can handle?  The woods gave me the peace I needed, away from phones and emails.  I felt God's peacefulness, encouragement and sense that everything will be alright.

I hope you take the time to look around you. walk in the woods the park, start a journal and enjoy this wonderful season of Thanksgiving.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment