Monday, April 16, 2018

Warming Up With Watercolors

                                  What painting medium do you use to warm up with?

For the last week, I have chosen to warm up with watercolors.  It is often my medium of choice.  There is very little prep or clean up, and I can take my watercolor paints with me wherever I go.  

I had a ball sitting outside with my paper and paints on one of the first warm days we have had this spring.  Sitting outdoors and connecting with nature and art.  A beautiful combination that soothes the soul. 

I had some pre-cut watercolor sheets and decided to do a series of mini floral still life paintings .  

                                                  This is the finished plein air painting.

                                 I began with a drawing pencil, and sketched out my design.  

As I began to paint, I added a few lights and dark values to the design.
Adding and layering color to the design.  I think it is important to wait until layers dry before layering  the colors on top.  Adding more depth as you progress.

I found a floral photo on Pinterest and used it as my guide.  

This next painting was a little more experimental as I used an oil overlay and a palette knife.


A watercolor class in the works and I can't wait to share the details with you.

I would love to hear from you and see what you would be interested in learning.  What techniques, watercolor on other substrates, subject matter, wet on wet, favorite paints and so on.

"Life begins at the end of our comfort zone."

See you soon,
Ursula
xo









No comments:

Post a Comment