Monday, October 30, 2017

Gratitude

I have had some fun using techniques learned in my last workshop I attended and with some new DecoArt products.

I thought it would be fun to share the process of this acrylic Hydrangea Floral painting; "Gratitude."

I have Hydrangea in my home year round, they are probably my most favorite of all flowers.

Hydrangea symbolize heartfelt emotions of any kind.  A bouquet can be used to express gratitude for being understood., the white meaning purity, grace and abundance.  As a fourth wedding flower, it's meaning is of grace and beauty.

       It seems very fitting to add them to our upcoming holiday of Thanksgiving and abundance.





All the DecoArt products used, are new to the line.

I began with a Canson Watercolor board.  I love using these for both, acrylics and watercolors.  

I added a thin layer of DecoArt Vintage Effect wash to the background.  A color wash paint.


The outline was created with a stabilo pencil and then paint was generously applied with a palette knife.








Most of the painting is layered with the palette knife.

I enjoy using the DecoArt Premium Acrylic Paints.  They have a nice, thick consistency and worked well with this painting technique.


The vase was the only area brushed in.  Highlights and shadows were layered with the palette knife.



I finished by using a 2" soft brayer and added more of the teal colors and white.  Adding a little more interest and texture throughout the painting.

I couldn't help but add some drips of color onto the table cloth.

Finished with a spray of matte varnish and it is ready to frame!

My hope is that you experiment and play with these new products from the line.   There is no end as to what we can create given a little paint and imagination.

With "gratitude",

Ursula
xo

p.s.  If you haven't signed up for Paint Your Heart and Soul 2018, early bird pricing is still available through this month (November).  Click on the link oner to the right side of this post and it will take you right to Paint Your Hear and Soul 2018.






3 comments: