Monday, August 28, 2017

Mingling among "The Masters"

The last few weeks have been a time of exploration and experimentation for me.  During those times of exploration, I began studying the masters paintings.  Beginning with Matisse, I painted a couple of pieces inspired by his work.

I love the bright colors and bold simplification of his work.  His "Ballerina" and my interpretation of the piece.  Using his form and my own color palette, created one of my own favorite ballerina paintings.  Painted with DecoArt acrylics and Titanium White Oil stick.


We were privileged to visit the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art this past weekend.  The museum is privileged to have added the remarkable collection donated by Henry and Marion Bloch.



The collection was added just this last spring and is a treat to the senses.   Seeing these wonderful paintings up close and personal was an emotional and delightful experience.


Viewing Monet's Water Lily painting from a distance.  It was much larger than I thought it was and, a little hard to photograph.  

                      Love the close up, the brush strokes and see how abstract it actually is.  

I had to visit the pastel room more than once.  Degas and Renoir right next to one another.  Up close and personal.  Be still my heart!


                                         From Manet to Matisse, a delight to the senses.





Of course there were many other artists idisplayed n the museum.  Another favorite  of mine, John Singer Sargent.  " Mrs. Cecil Wade, 1886.

The photo does not do the color and light justice.  The whites just seem to  sparkle against the contrast of the dark and subtle background.

The museum was most definitely the highlight of our weekend trip.  We were there most of the day and didn't see everything.  The new addition of the Bloch building and his private collection made our visit even more special and exciting.

If you are ever in the Kansas City area, the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art is a must!

Such inspiration and too many photos to post.  Until next time.

Ursula xo

4 comments:

  1. Oh how I loved seeing this post Ursula. Thank you for always being such a fabulous inspiration. Xj.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Joi. It was such a delightful experience. My heart skipped a beat when I got a glimpse of Monet's Water Lily painting from the other room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed this very much Ursula!! On the list :) -Adam

    ReplyDelete