Monday, July 24, 2017

I am often asked how does one get inspired.

Where does inspiration come from?  The notion of inspiration as a process, looking outside ourselves.  It is often described as a spiritual event.  
We look around us and see the world and how we relate to it.
"Prayer is when you speak to God, and inspiration, intuition and creativity is when God speaks to you."



We welcome and open ourselves to the creative process and the connection to our inspiration.

Inspiration can come from anywhere, turning a mere thought into a reality.

There are times when I go down to my studio, grab a canvas and do not know where to begin.  Looking at a blank canvas can be very intimidating.  As would be a blank page waiting for words to fill it.  
Set limitations for yourself  take the leap of faith and begin.  Staring with that first word or priming the canvas with a coat of paint or gesso.  
Searching Pinterest, learning from the "Old Masters", picking up a magazine, walking in nature and listening to that inner connection.

My last few paintings were inspired by a class creating watercolors on Yupo paper.  I learned so much and continued to explore the possibilities this medium provided.  


One of the ladies in class had on an elephant shirt.  Needless to say, when I returned home, I continued the techniques I learned in class and painted my own elephant.  And oh, was he fun!

Love the freedom this paper gives, watching the colors intermingle, run and play with one another.  Adding drips, spraying the piece with alcohol, using inks, the possibilities were endless.

Inspiration can come in many forms, doodling, watching a you tube video,  taking an online class and just watching the videos.  I find I am inspired by watching others paint and create.  Just watching how they hold the brush, or add an unexpected color.

Let your imagination soar, try new mediums, experiment, explore, live and create.

The word "inspire" relates to the words "aspire".  The Latin word is inspir.,
which comes from inspirare., which means to "Breath Into".

Explore, Listen, Breath Into and Create!

Ursula 
xo












No comments:

Post a Comment