Monday, June 6, 2016

Summer Memories


The first half of this year has been one of challenges and sadness for my family.  It is hard to believe that June and summer have suddenly arrived.
My 94 year old mother passed away only two weeks after we celebrated her birthday.  She has been in a nursing facility since January, after a fall.  She never fully recovered from the fall, but did rally some and we had such fun seeing her and her three other German friends celebrate her birthday along with us.  Singing German songs, eating cake and laughing at silly things she said.  

We moved her three times in these last few months.  Keeping her as comfortable as we could.  
She left us on a Sunday, May 29th.  She went peacefully as my brother and I sat by her side.  

This summer will be bittersweet, remembering times spent with her.  Not only was she close in heart, she lived next door to me the last 13 years of her life.  

I will miss walking over to her house, watching her walk in the neighborhood with her walker and just knowing she was near by.



1 comment: